This post is much different from my usual ones. It doesn’t relate to any other post but i felt it is must for everyone to know about it and so i am here.
Every year many accidents occur. With some care, they can be prevented. In case accident does happen, you can be of help if you know Basic First Aid. Read each of the following carefully. You will be able to give vital first aid if needed.
Do not move the casualty unnecessarily. Keep them warm. Make a diagnosis, decide the treatment and treat. Remember the ABC of First Aid: See if his/her airways are clear, that he/she is breathing, and his/her blood circulation is patent.
- Respiration: If it is failing, give artificial respiration – MOUTH to MOUTH or MOUTH to NOSE.
- Bleeding: Arrest the bleeding and protect the wound. Apply direct or indirect pressure. Cover with a dressing, apply a pad and firm bandage, elevate, keep at rest.
- Fractures: IMMOBILISE it with a well padded stiff support reaching the joints on either side. Apply bandages on either side of the site and at the joints on either side support.
- Burns and Scalds: A burn is caused by dry heat and a scald by moist heat like steam, very hot water or oil. IMMEDIATELY cool the area with cold water – for 15 mins, till the pain subsides. DO NOT break blisters, or apply anything on the burns. Cover with a sterile or clean cloth, pad and bandage, Give fluids.
- Electric shock: Touch with rubber soles or rubber gloves, if the patient is still in contact wit electrical equipment. Apply artificial respiration and treat for burns and shock as necessary.
- Bee sting: Do not press the bag (of the sting). Use foreceps and remove the sting. Apply cold or weak ammonia.
- Animal bites: Wash with soap and plenty of water. Loose bandage may be applied. Get quick medical aid.
- Snake bites: Keep patient calm. wash with plenty of water and soap. DO NOT RUB hard. First apply a constrictive bandage on the heart side of the bite. ( Not to be applied continuously for more than 20 mins.). Do not incise or attempt to suck the wound. Get aid quickly. Try to identify the snake.
- Fainting: Lay him/her down and loosen the clothing around the waist and chest. Turn head to one side. The legs may be raised a little. DO NOT attempt to give any solids or liquids. On recovery a small quantity of a drink may be given and he allowed to sit up and move after rest.
- General: If you are in doubt of the treatment DO NOT DO anything. You may do more harm.
NOTE: These are only hints. To be a good First Aider you can do the first aid course conducted regularly by the St.John Ambulance Association in all the states.
I know it’s little too long but it is necessary too. Enjoy your day and subscribe for more newsletters and follow to get notification whenever there is a new post.